Facts about COVID-19
- The 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a new virus of global health significance caused by infection of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)
- COVID-19 is thought to spread from person to person in close contact through respiratory droplets
- These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. It is also possible that a person can catch COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes
- Currently, previous testing for COVID-19 has included only a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, which is tested for the presence of DNA from the virus
Facts about the COVID-19 Panel
- The COVID-19 panel is a highly sensitive and accurate assay for antibodies against the COVID-19 virus.